Sunday, November 18, 2012

Squanto, Thanksgiving Feast, and Pie!

Happy Break!  I hope everyone is enjoying their time off so far. :-)

This week we were busy, busy, busy!!

First, students prepared for their Six Weeks Tests Monday-Wednesday.  Students goal set in order to prepare themselves for the test.  Because ALL students did their best on Thursday, they were rewared with a bite of Pumpkin Pie on Friday!  We have been learning a lot about pumpkins these past few weeks.  We have read poems about them, written poems about them, explored them using our 5 senses, and learned how they grow during The Harvest.  It was only fitting to end the unit with some delicious pumpkin pie!

 
In Social Studies, Reading, and through Poetry, we learned about how The Pilgrims traveled on the Mayflower to Massachusetts. While reading This is The Feast, students wrote details about the story and then we created a Main Idea of story on a cornucopia. They also learned how Squanto taught The Pilgrims how to plant corn during the harvest and how to hunt for food. Students agreed that he was a great helper and friend. They each created a Head-dress to display the Main Idea of The Story of Squanto. Each feather answers one of the 5W's: Who, What, Where, When, and Why about Squanto.
 

 
Lastly, we learned how to write an Expository Paper. They wrote about reasons why they are thankful! The Elephants and The Honeybees decorated a Turkey for their families with all of the reasons why they are thankful!!
 


Also, students began exploring Text Features in Nonfiction Reading.  They worked in cooperative groups and looked their Social Studies Book to find and understand a glossary, table of contents, index, titles, heading, and bold.  I look forward to finishing this assignment when we come back from break!


 


 
 
At lunch on Wednesday, the cafeteria prepared a Thanksgiving Feast! Students were able to connect this to when The Pilgrims thanked Squanto and the other Native Americans with a Feast. We had a great time with our parents!











 


 
 
****************Note for Elephants and Honeybees*******************

Remember, if you read a story or a play a game on pebblego and leave a comment with what you learned, then you will get a reward when you come back to school!  Also, don't forget to do your Thanksgiving Packet for tickets when you come back to school.  Enjoy your break!!

~ Ms. Lightfoot
 

13 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful pictures and congratulations on doing your best and getting to eat pie! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ms.Lightfoot I like the phch of the pie.The pie was good.I miss you. from Brigette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you like the picture of the pie! It was sure was yummy! I miss you too Brigette! Have you been doing anything fun? I hope so! I look forward to seeing you when we get back to school. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ms Lightfoot I enjoyed the pictures on your blog and the pie was good too! From Reece W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Reece! I'm glad that you are enjoying the pictures and that you loved the pie!! Pumpkin Pie is very tasty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Miss Lightfoot. I got on Pebble go tonight with my mom. I read about cheetahs. One fact i liked is black stripes near the eyes protect the eyes.

    See you tomorrow.

    Darian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! I didn't know that Darian. Thank you for teaching me something new :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool Pix Ms. Lightfoot, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hay mis.lightfoot I am talking to my mom I can not wait to see you on janury 2 ok will by

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear miss Lightfoot
    Hi my name is Cali.I wanted to say thank you for the Christmas card you sent our class we really loved it.Sorry I forgot to say I'm from Miss Myers class.Maybe if we blog back and fourth our classes can sKYpe with each other because our class is looking for a class to skype with.
    Your new friend


    Cali

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear: Lightfoot class

    That looks like a good pie.How long did it take to make that pie?Did you guys eat the pie? Please visit our blog at blogs.goaj.org/smyers.

    your new friend:
    Molly Rollins

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear: Lightfoot class
    I love the hats. How long did it take to make those?How many people are in your class?

    Your new friend:
    Molly Rollins

    p.s. check out are blog: blogs.goaj.org/smyers

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi ms.light thank,s for putting me and my mom on the blog ariel

    ReplyDelete